Blanking moulds: our tailor-made service
Are you looking for a company that specializes in tailor-made construction of blanking moulds? Then you are in the right place! Since 1960, Minifaber has specialized in the cold working of metals and offers different types of services: from blanking to sheet metal bending, from the production of moulds to the creation of finished and assembled products.
The construction of blanking moulds is one of the services that our tooling shop can offer. The moulds can be of different types depending on the product to be manufactured.
Not only blanking moulds
The collaboration between our technical department and specialized personnel, together with the high technology machinery we have at our disposal, allows us to offer a wide range of services also with regard to the production of moulds.
In detail, Minifaber deals with the design and construction of:
- bending and blanking moulds;
- progressive moulds (also with incorporated threading machines) for the production of components in large quantities and at high speeds;
- transfer moulds to produce finished products in a succession of passages on a series of moulds connected by the transfer machine;
- Drawing moulds to obtain metal components and finished products of various shapes and depths (cylindrical, rectangular and other shapes).
All metal moulds made by Minifaber are certified according to the international directives UNI EN ISO 9 001:2008, guaranteeing safety to your production.
How do you build a blanking moulds
The construction of blanking moulds involves three consecutive phases:
- the design, that is realized with the use of CAD systems of solid modeling;
- the actual construction, which includes the machining of all the components of the mold, heat treatments, polishing, PVD coatings;
- the assembly of machined components and standard components purchased from trade, testing and tuning of the mold.
For mechanical processing Minifaber uses sophisticated CAD/CAM systems that interface with CNC machine tools, guaranteeing centesimal precision of the mechanical components of the moulds, especially sliding precision, coupling and the correct play between die and punch.
Our machinery for blanking moulds, extremely rich and cutting-edge, includes:
- 3 EDM machines of which 2 are flush and one is plunging
- 1 micro-drilling machine
- 2 milling machines of which one with 5 axes and one with 3 axes
- 4 lathes of which 2 programmable
- 2 grinding machines
- 3 column drills
- 1 machine for mold assembly, testing and maintenance
Minifaber's precision in the construction of blanking moulds
Blanking moulds are composed of active parts that come into contact with the sheet metal and are made up of punches, dies and premills, and structural parts that support the active parts.
Blanking takes place thanks to the contact of the sheet metal between the punch and the die. Generally the die is fixed to the fixed part of the press while the punch is fixed to the moving part; however, the parts can be reversed.
Punches and dies must be perfectly calibrated with each other, the clearance between punch and die must be perfectly calculated and realized, otherwise there may be imperfections on the punched piece and rapid wear or accidental breakage of these active parts.
In addition, the two tools must be made of very hard but also tough material, polished to have a coefficient of friction as low as possible, resistant to abrasion and sticking (seizing).
The play between die and punch
When approaching the construction of punching dies, care must therefore be taken to ensure that the clearance between die and punch is not too low, because low clearance will cause rapid tool wear.
At the same time, it must not be too much either, because if the clearance between die and punch is too much, the edges of the sheet metal will inflect and inevitably create high burrs and inaccurate surfaces.