Metal laser cutting: Minifaber services
Thanks to its state-of-the-art fleet of machines and expertise gathered over years of activity, Minifaber specializes in laser cutting of metals of all kinds: iron, steel, aluminum, and copper. For each of these, laser cutting, thanks to its properties, guarantees extremely clean and precise cuts.
Laser cutting consists of a process of thermal separation of metals: the laser beam, focusing with the help of a lens on a specific point of the sheet metal, heats up and quickly brings it to the melting point.
Thanks to in-house technology, Minifaber can work with a wide range of metals, adapting to customers' specific needs. Our flexibility is demonstrated in the ability to laser cut in different sizes and thicknesses, allowing the production of high-quality semi-finished and finished products. The precision of the cutting enables sharp and clean edges, minimizing imperfections and ensuring precise processing. For over 60 years, we have been committed to providing cutting-edge laser metal cutting solutions, offering high-precision products and satisfying customer needs in various industrial sectors.
Different types of metal laser cutting depending on the gas use
Depending on the gas used during processing, laser metal cutting can be performed through two different techniques:
- Fusion: In this case, an inert gas is used, which means it does not react when in contact with the metal being cut. The most commonly used inert gases are nitrogen, argon, and helium.
- Combustion: In this case, oxygen is used as the gas, and it is considered active as it reacts when in contact with the metal, generating metal oxide. This reaction releases additional energy compared to the laser beam, which helps to melt the metal more quickly. Compared to the previous technique, the advantage here lies in higher laser power and the ability to work on thicker surfaces and at higher speeds.
Different types of laser cutting of metals depending on the source
Two different types of metal laser cutting are recognized depending on the type of laser beam source:
- CO2 laser cutting: these are gas lasers based on a gas mixture of electrically excited carbon dioxide and typically have a wavelength of 10 μm; one of the strengths of CO2 lasers is the excellent cutting quality even on thick sheet metal.
- Fiber laser cutting: here the laser beam is produced by means of a so-called laser seed and is amplified by means of glass fibers, to which energy is fed by pumping diodes; the wavelength of fiber lasers is 1 μm. Fiber laser cutting, compared to the CO2 laser, also allows non-conductive metals such as brass and copper to be cut, guarantees greater speed, and requires less maintenance.
The Minifaber metal laser cutting process
The laser-cutting process is characterized by an advanced and highly efficient approach. By utilizing state-of-the-art machinery and cutting-edge technologies, Minifaber ensures high-quality and precise results for both finished and semi-finished products.
Once the metal is selected, a high-powered laser cutting system is used for the process. The machine employs a concentrated laser beam that vaporizes the material in the cutting zone. The precision of laser cutting allows for sharp and precise edges, minimizing the need for further processing.
The cut pieces can undergo additional processes such as bending, welding, or surface finishing, depending on the specific requirements. Our ability to provide complete and ready-to-use products offers a significant advantage to customers, saving them time and resources.
Furthermore, the metal laser cutting process at Minifaber reduces material waste and achieves high production speed while working with complex and intricate shapes. To optimize the process, Minifaber relies on a cutting-edge and regularly updated machine park, including four combined punching machines capable of cutting sheets up to 1250x2500 mm, and a deburring machine to remove any remaining melted metal residues, known as "burrs."
The metals that Minifaber can laser cut
Minifaber can apply the metal laser cutting process to various metals:
- Steel and stainless steel: Laser cutting is an effective method for working with steel and stainless steel, allowing for the creation of complex and precise shapes without compromising their properties. It is commonly used in industries such as food processing.
- Aluminum: Aluminum is a lightweight metal alloy that is resistant to oxidation. It is used in various sectors, including electronics, automotive, furniture, and kitchen products. Laser-cutting aluminum enables clean and precise cuts without significant deformation or thermal damage.
- Copper and other metal alloys: In the electromechanical sector and other applications, laser cutting is also used to work with copper, cupronickel, brass, bronze, and other special alloys. Each metal alloy may require specific cutting parameters to achieve optimal results, but laser cutting offers great versatility for working with these metals.
The advantages of choosing a company with extensive know-how
Why should you rely on Minifaber for metal processing and laser cutting? Let's see the main reasons together, and if we have convinced you, don't hesitate to contact us:
- Your products will be manufactured by an experienced team and cutting-edge machinery: a company with extensive know-how like Minifaber has accumulated experience and expertise in the field of metal processing and laser cutting. This experience has allowed us to work with over 300 companies worldwide.
- We work with various metals and have a deep understanding of their characteristics: laser cutting requires a thorough knowledge of different types of materials, such as stainless steel, aluminum, copper, and other metal alloys, which Minifaber has gained over more than 60 years.
- No matter how complex your project is, we will handle it smoothly: we are capable of managing complex projects that require precision and attention to detail.
- Customized results tailored to your needs: we offer customized solutions based on specific customer requirements.
- Quality and reliability: by choosing a company with extensive experience, you can rely on high-quality results and reliable service, even after sales.